Intoxication by household products

Household product poisoning occurs when chemicals in household products come into contact with the body, usually through ingestion, inhalation or skin contact. Symptoms can vary depending on the substance in question, but can include headaches, nausea, vomiting, skin irritation and breathing difficulties.

The household products most commonly involved in poisonings include floor cleaners, toilet cleaners, disinfectants, drain cleaners, bleaches and insecticides. These products may contain substances such as ammonia, bleach, acids, solvents and pesticides, which can be toxic if ingested or inhaled.

Children are particularly vulnerable to household product poisoning because they tend to explore their environment by putting objects in their mouths. Adults can also be exposed to household products inadvertently, by mixing chemicals together or by using products in poorly ventilated areas.


Definition and Meaning

Household product poisoning is a situation where chemicals used to clean, disinfect or maintain the home come into contact with the human body, causing symptoms such as headaches, nausea, vomiting, skin irritation or breathing difficulties. Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable to these poisonings, which can be prevented by proper handling and storage of household products, as well as careful reading of labels to understand the risks and precautions for use. In the event of poisoning, it is important to contact a poison control center or emergency medical service immediately.


Causes of household product poisoning

Exposure to household products is often accidental and can result from misuse or improper handling of products.

In adults, it is often a matter of handling errors, such as using the wrong products for a given purpose or using concentrated products without prior dilution.

In children, exposures are often related to accidental ingestion of products or splashes on the skin or eyes.

The effects of household product poisoning

The effects of poisoning by household products vary according to:

  • the substance involved,
  • the dose received,
  • the route of exposure.

Common symptoms include:

  • respiratory problems,
  • eye and skin burns,
  • nausea and vomiting.

Severe cases can result in internal injuries, neurological disorders and even death.

Prevention of household product poisoning

There are simple steps consumers can take to prevent household product poisoning. It is important to follow product use and storage instructions, keep products out of the reach of children and pets, and store products in original containers. It is also important to remember that concentrated products must be diluted before use and to wear gloves and goggles when using potentially hazardous products.

In a nutshell

Household product poisoning is a major public health problem that can lead to serious health consequences. It is important that consumers take steps to prevent accidental exposures by following product use and storage instructions and taking precautionary measures when using potentially hazardous products. It is also important to report any incidents of household product poisoning to the appropriate authorities to help prevent future exposures. Finally, it is important to remember that children and the elderly are at greater risk of household product poisoning, so it is important to take additional measures to protect these population groups.